An Indo-Aryan temple, the striking Jagdish temple is placed on the first entrance of the City Palace. Erected by Maharana Jagat Singh in the year 1651, this temple consists of a black stone idol of Lord Jagannath, an incarnation of Lord Vishnu. Originally known as the temple of Jagannath Rai, it is a major attraction in the city. A proof of Māru-Gurjara architecture, this white temple has beautiful delicate carvings and sculptures and is now a popular landmark in the Lal Ghat area. The prime highlight is the morning and evening Aarti.